By Noleen Sliney
It’s Mother’s Day this month. And what a great opportunity to take advantage of some pampering and ‘me time’.
But why should Mother’s Day be the only day of the year when you do something special for yourself? Here are 5 simple, yet really lovely ways you can make yourself feel special everyday.
1. Do you think of putting on your makeup as a chore? Or maybe even as just another thing on your to-do list? Here’s a very simple way you can remedy this and instead start making it more of a daily self-care ritual. Buy makeup products that you can’t wait to use and that you know make you look fabulous. This in turn will make you FEEL fabulous.
For example, I love each of the makeup products I have in my makeup bag. And as a result, I really enjoy applying them on my face each day. Not only do they make me look and FEEL fabulous, but the process of applying them on my face is also such a pleasurable experience. It could be a lipstick that you absolutely love. Or maybe your favourite mascara. Or it could be a number of products. Either way, make sure to really enjoy the experience of applying them.
2. Maybe you actually do enjoy applying your makeup. But perhaps taking off your makeup feels like a chore. Again, this doesn’t have to be a chore or another thing on your daily to-do list. And just as you can make putting on your makeup part of your self-care routine, you can also do the same for your evening beauty routine.
Again, use cleansing and skincare products that you absolutely love using. Just as much as I love to apply my makeup products, I also look forward to using my lovely cleansing and skincare products at the end of the day too.
Give your face a massage as you apply your cleanser to remove your makeup. Then do the same as you apply your moisturiser. If you apply an eye cream, do the same thing for your eyes too. This doesn’t have to take a long time to do (unless you want to, of course). But it will make the process a really enjoyable one. And your skin will thank you for it too. Your evening skincare routine is the most important one of the day, as our skin repairs itself as we sleep. So be kind to your skin and give it the gentle love and care that it deserves.
3. Carve out some ‘me time’ once per week, every week. Put it in the family planner schedule so that everyone else in the family knows that’s your time and not to disturb you during this time. It can be anything from 5 minutes to 10 minutes to an hour. Maybe even an entire afternoon. You can decide how much time you’d like to dedicate to yourself. And what you want to do with that time.
Perhaps you love reading, but you don’t get much time because you’re always being interrupted by everyone. So you could take yourself and your book off to a coffee shop for some undisturbed reading time for a half hour. Maybe you love a nice long, hot bath too. Then why not combine both. Or perhaps you’d love an hour each week to enjoy some pampering time for a manicure, a pedicure, or perhapy having your hair or makeup done for you by someone else. Whatever it is, make sure to carve out some time once per week in the schedule just for this.
Something else you can do is to set the same day and time every week for your self-care ritual. Not only will this very quickly become the norm for you, but everyone else in the family will be used to it too. They’ll know that this is Mum’s time and that she’s not to be disturbed during this time. Ensuring that you can fully relax and make the most of your me-time, no matter how long or short it is.
4. No time to apply your makeup before the kids go to school? No problem. Do it after everyone has left the house. That way, you can really enjoy those few minutes of uninterrupted me-time. And this means you don’t have to rush. So it gives you time to really enjoy applying your makeup, but also to take a little extra care with it too.
Or maybe there’s a technique or new product you’ve been meaning to try out for a while. So you don’t give it a go, because you’re afraid you’ll mess it up as you’re always in rush when you apply your makeup. With everyone gone from the house, you can use that time to try out that new technique or product and take your time so you feel confident at doing it.
5. Stop saving your favourite makeup or beauty products for a ‘special occasion’ only! Same goes for your favourite outfit or those gorgeous shoes you love wearing. Why not make everyday a special occasion? For one thing, that ‘special occasion’ that you’re waiting for never comes around!
How many times have you bought something that you really love and then said you’d keep it for ‘something special’. I bet that you’ve got some really gorgeous things sitting in your wardrobe or makeup bag that you’ve only worn a couple of times. Or maybe you’ve never even worn them all! Like that lovely, expensive perfume that you love. Or that dress in the beautiful colour that really lights up your entire face. Or that gorgeous lipstick that enhances your entire complexion and makes you look and feel so glamorous and beautiful.
If something makes you feel good, then use it. If doing something makes you feel good, then do it. And not just once per year (or once in a lifetime), do it ALL the time. Wear that dress that makes you look amazing no matter whether you’re going to a coffee shop or a fancy restaurant. Wear that gorgeous lipstick that makes you look and feel fabulous whether you’re going to the supermarket or going to work.
And even if you aren’t going outside the house at all, who cares. Through them on anyway. I guarantee they’ll make you feel so good. And you’ll be wondering why you weren’t wearing these all the time!
I really hope that you enjoyed this post. And I really hope that you not only found these tips helpful, but that you’ll actually put at least one of them into practice on a regular basis. Remember, if you’re not taking care of yourself well, how can you look after everyone else well?
As the saying goes, ‘you can’t serve water from an empty well.’ So remember this saying next time you’re feeling like you’re being pulled in 10 different ways by everyone else. You deserve to be pampered and well looked after just as much as everyone else does. Not only do you deserve it, but you NEED it. And remember to go back to these tips and put them into practice. Happy Mother’s Day. xo
Do you already have a regular self-care routine? If so, how do you practice self-care? And if you don’t have a self-care routine, I’d also love to hear from you. Are you in need of one? What do you love to do? What makes you feel fabulous?
Noleen Sliney is a Makeup Artist & Green Beauty Blogger who’s passionate about showing women how to enhance their natural beauty so that they’ll not only look fabulous but so they’ll also FEEL fabulous and full of self-confidence every single day. And how to easily make the switch to natural and organic beauty products. She doesn’t believe in a one-size-fits-all approach when it comes to beauty. And in her virtual Personalised 1 to 1 Makeup Lessons, she helps her clients to find the exact products and techniques that are perfect for their face shape and skin type so that they never again have to waste money on products that aren’t suitable for them. You can find out more about Noleen and her work at https://www.noleenslineymakeup.com/.