By Julie Leonard
Want to de-clutter, be green and reduce your carbon footprint? Then my 6 Green and Tidy Tips will guide you how.
1. Donate or Give Away– ‘One man’s junk is another man’s treasure’. So much that we no longer need will be of use to someone else. Don’t just dump stuff, donate to charity or give it away for free. There are tons of sites for this such as Items for Sale, Ebay Kleinanzeigen, Quoka.de.
2. Upcycle – My favourite! Very rarely have I encouraged a client to clear out and then buy new stuff. There is so much we can do with what we already have. That favourite mug with the broken handle can become a desk tidy, Pinterest your old coffee table, turn colanders unto plant pots….. Find inspiration here.
3. Reappropriate – Sometimes when working with a client we find that we need some plastic storage tubs or a few folders but most of the time there is already plenty of storage already at hand. Reuse what you already have. Shoe boxes make great storage boxes, old Tupperware holds those small hardware items such as fuses and batteries and we all have a wicker basket or two that are handy for keys. So look at what you already have and get creative!
4. Commit To Not Purchasing Anything For Earth Month –When you make a deliberate choice to declutter and live a more minimalist lifestyle you realise that you already have all that you need. Make a conscious choice not to purchase anything for the month of April in support of Earth Month.
5. Conscious Consumerism – Then when you do need to buy anything, choose wisely. Consider where and how something is made, how far it has travelled, the cost to the environment from its production. Where you can, shop locally, shop sustainably and shop small business. Within Über Moms are many talented women making beautiful and special products far nicer and more unique than anything mass produced.
6. No Presents Please – A huge amount of our clutter comes from what other people give us. Reduce the amount of stuff from other people by asking for something specific you need or simply for an experience or to donate to a cause close to your heart. This year for my little one’s birthday we are asking family for actual things he needs and have asked friends for playdates and fun activities together. At 2, he already has so much stuff and a fun couple of hours with a buddy makes him far happier than another toy.
So think green and declutter. When we consciously live a more minimalist lifestyle we realise our happiness isn’t tied to buying more stuff, we don’t need a bigger house because we have enough space and we already have all that we need. And all of this helps our planet and reduces our footprint.
Julie Leonard is a Life Coach, De-cluttering Expert and Aromatherapist with over 25 years experience.
More about Julie and her services can be found at julieleonardcoaching.com.
Über Moms get a special 10% discount on all Life Coaching sessions.